In 2003, Gordon “Fox Running” Brainerd, a longtime member of the Dudley Farm Museum, donated his extensive collection of Quinnipiac artifacts to the Dudley Farm. Gordon had spent over 40 years collecting artifacts in the lands inhabited by the Quinnipiac People at the time English Colonists arrived in 1638. Members of the greater Algonkian Culture, the Quinnipiac lived in an area nearly half that of present-day New Haven County covering over 300 square miles. Their lands stretched along the coast from West Haven to Clinton and north to Cheshire and Wallingford.
The Quinnipiac Dawnland collection of artifacts, primarily stone projectile points and tools, tell the story of the Indigenous inhabitants of the region from the Paleo-Indian Period dating back 12,000 years, through the Archaic Period beginning 9,000 years ago, to the Woodland Period which started 3,000 years ago. It is the culture that existed when Europeans first arrived 400 years ago, an event that changed their lives forever.
With a generous grant from a local foundation and another from CT Humanities, the Dudley Farm Museum is proud to announce we are in the process of planning a stand alone building to house the collection currently located in our event venue, the Munger Barn. Our plan is to design exhibits and displays that will illustrate the incredible history and culture of the Quinnipiac People from the end of the Ice Age to the present. In doing so, we will not only bring to life the legacy of the Quinnipiac, but also that of Gordon who dedicated so much of his life to preserving their story.
Open Hours to the Dawnland Museum-- Saturdays and Sunday 10-2. Closed December 17,2023 to February 17, 2024.
2351 Durham Rd, Guilford, CT 06437